Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Amanda Palmer

Monday Night Tegan and I went and saw Amanda Palmer (from the Dresden Dolls) at the Spiegeltent.

We went because Tegan's friend Peta was part of the "Danger Ensemble" that perform with her.

I hadn't heard very much of her music before, but I was very impressed, particularly with the song "Ampersand". The Danger Ensemble 'performed' during various songs throughout the night which involved moving around the tent in a sombre mood or doing strange interpretive dance. It really added to the theatrical nature of the show, but I may have been biased because I knew one of them. Not to say that they weren't good, but I was eager to see them come on, whereas such shenanigans could be seen as a distraction from the main performer for others, however I think they complemented Amanda's show perfectly.

The Spiegeltent is a beautiful venue, very intimate and theatrical, which really suited this show.

The finale was an incredible lip sync version of Umbrella (see below, Peta is the blond).

If you get the chance, I recommend catching this show!

No comments: