Friday, June 22, 2007

Best Cover Versions Ever

The other day I tried to make a list on my iPod of all the cover versions I had (because that's what I do with my iPod).

It was quite a surprising process - there were lots of songs I discovered were covers that I didn't know about, like; Dazed and Confused (Led Zepplin), Cocaine (Cream) and It's My Life (No Doubt)

I tried to pick out my Top 10 covers - based on how good the song was and also how much the new artist had succeeded in making the song their own.

My Top 10 are:

10. Nothing Compares 2 U, Sinéad O'Connor (Prince)
9. You've Got to Hide Your Love Away, Eddie Vedder (The Beatles)
8. With A Little Help From My Friends, Joe Cocker (The Beatles)
7. I Will Survive, Cake (Gloria Gaynor)
6. Easy, Faith No More (Lionel Richie)
5. Hurt, Johnny Cash (NIN)
4. Respect, Aretha Franklin (Otis Redding)
3. All Along The Watchtower, Jimi Hendrix (Bob Dylan)
2. One, Johnny Cash (U2)

And the best cover of all time is:

1. Hallelujah, Jeff Buckley (Leonard Cohen)

It really is beautiful - and it's much better than the original!

I still haven't heard the John Cale (of the Velvet Underground) version but apparently his version inspired Jeff's version.

Check out another covers list here.

2 comments:

courtney said...

U2's Unchained Melody and Toot's and the Maytal's Country Roads Take me Home. Run DMC's Walk This Way and Anthrax's Bring the Noise. Can you also please make a worst cover's list and start with Mark Ronson's Stop if you've Heard This One Before sacrilidge.

courtney said...

I forgot Femme Fetale by R.E.M.