Friday, June 22, 2007

Icky Thump



The new White Stripes album 'Icky Thump' came out last week and as I am a big fan of Jack and Megs sound I bought it straight away.

The single 'Icky Thump' is fantastic - I love the wailing guitar - sometimes I feel like Jack could fell a tree with his guitar sound. In fact the wailing guitar is (as always) quite frequent in the entire album which I love. It seems to actually be overtly ABOUT something, which is a change of pace for this pair.
There are some quirky numbers in there, like Conquest and St. Andrew, which help break the album up and give it that unique White Stripes feel.

My favourite tracks apart from the title track, are 'You Don't Know What Love Is (You Just Do As You're Told)' and 'A Martyr For My Love For You'.
Overall it is not as strong as Elephant, and about equal with Get Behind Me Satan - but it is still early days and I'm sure, like all good things, it will get even better over time.
***

No comments: